I’m doing a lot with Chef these days. I’m trying to stomp on Windows-related bugs in Chef and one of its supporting gems, Ohai. I’ve also forked the timezone cookbook to develop it further. To test it, I’m using test-kitchen along with Vagrant boxes built with bento (and I’m building on bento a little in the process).
I have a new Ruby gem called Windowtint — my first official RubyGems-hosted gem. It’s meant to abstract the chore of supporting so-called ANSI color output on Windows. Most Ruby tools that output color tell Windows users just to install ANSICON, which actually is a great add-on because it makes ANSI color available to everything that outputs to the command line. Unfortunately, it’s a system-level driver that has to be copied directly into the Windows system directory, and this is verboten in some lab environments (like my employer’s) with strict IT usage policies. So Windowtint tries to smooth things over in this way: it looks for ANSICON or win32console and silently uses those if available, but if they aren’t, it advises the user to install one. (win32console is a gem and should be installable by anyone.)
rest-client is a nice little Ruby gem for accessing Web services via HTTP, particularly nice for those using REST. However, the second maintainer seems to have his attention elsewhere these days, so I set up a @rest-client “organization” to promote the idea of collective maintenance of the project. Now there is a third maintainer who has the blessing of the original author to maintain the rest-client repository there.
While researching port knocking, I stumbled upon Ostiary. It uses a client/server protocol that has a very simple design, yet still manages to resist eavesdropping, man-in-the-middle attacks, and replay attacks. Likewise, its implementation is so simple that it’s resistant to denial-of-service and buffer overflow attacks, and lightweight enough that the author has run a client on a Palm handheld and a server on a Macintosh SE/30 (which makes it a pretty mature protocol as well!). I’ve created repos for the basic C server and client and the Java client, and I’ve already squashed a bug in the latter.
I’ve started a stupid little project called rubar (etymology: “Ruby” + “fubar”) that will allow for use of the social network/game fubar.com from a command-line interface. It is designed to be a tool, not a robot.